Sunday, April 25, 2010

R.I.P Bingo




Many years ago, almost nine to be exact, my parents took me to the local pet store up the road and asked me which bird I liked most. I looked at all the birds, some climbing the ropes, some chattering to each other, and one hiding off in the corner. The one in the corner was blue and white. I decided proudly that he was my favorite, and a few minutes later my mom came up to me holding a box, that had chirping noises coming from it. We took my new pet home and set up his cage. I decided his name would be Bingo. He was a parakeet. He was my first real pet. I went to sleep that night, and when I woke up the next morning, I walked down stairs for breakfast and a blur of blue and white dive bombed me. My mom screamed and my dad ran towards the blur. My mom had accidentally let Bingo out of his cage and he was free in the house. We eventually got him in his cage. I remember that day like it was yesterday. A few months after that we noticed Bingos beak was cracking and peeling. My mom googled it and took him to the vet. It turned out he had cancer. He went through a series of chemo that would either save him or kill him. He almost died many times throughout it, but in the end he survived. He never truly talked, but he made such sweet noises. He loved to listen to music and my whistling or singing. We never thought he would live long. He ended up living for almost 9 years. Yesterday morning I was home alone and I stopped by his cage to say hi. He chirped and sat on his food dish. He had enough food since I had given him extra the day before. My parents came home and we were about to leave for lunch. My dad said bye to Bingo, but when he looked back he noticed he wasn't visible, so we looked closer. Bingo was laying on his side with his eyes closed on the bottom of his cage. He must have had a heart attack. He seemed sicker later. We burried him in the garden near the fence. He was my first real pet, and the one that out lived them all. I'm going to miss hearing his squawking and chirping. I'm going to miss seeing him in his cage by the window, and hearing his bell. Most of all I'm going to miss him just being around. I know it was just a bird, but I can't really remember life without him around. R.I.P Bingo, I'm always going to miss you being around.

1 comment: